LATTE&STILETTOS


World Issues/Viral Video: Chinese toddler struck by van, ignored by passersby

Before you click play on the video below, please be warned that content is extremely graphic and may cause discomfort for some people.



Link to Globe and Mail article


If you decided to skip the video, it entails a 2 year old toddler in China who stumbles out onto the street. Shortly after she does so, she is struck by a van who comes to a full stop and decides after a few seconds, he was going to flee. When the driver flees, he rolls over the toddler's legs/body again. Many people pass by and leaves the toddler laying there. Another truck shortly runs over her body again but does not stop at all. It was only until a garbage lady who sees the toddler laying there helps her to safety. She carries her to the side of the road and eventually, tracks her mother down.

Obviously, this took place in China where society is very different than say, here in North America. However, it still does not excuse what happened in the video. I had no idea what I was supposed to be seeing so naturally, I was horrified. While everyone seemed to jump at the passersby first, I wanted to question where the parents/caretakers were. Did they not wonder where their toddler was? No matter where you are in the world or how different a society may be, I think this is a general common sense parenting rule: You do not just let a 2 year old roam about, especially if you work in a store just by a narrow road. There is nothing anyone can say. It's just unacceptable.

I work in a position where I have parents coming to me when they lose their child in the store/mall and essentially, my coworkers and I help the parents find the child. I'm always shaking my head at the parent. It's never something I get used to. Watch your damn child, he or she is your responsibility.

I was going to touch upon the passersby but I haven't really made up my mind about it. It's wrong to watch a toddler laying there looking almost dead but people have fear inside them and don't want to help. As the article mentions, there was another case where a man was charged/found guilty for helping a woman out. It's not right but it's human nature to be selfish. I see both sides of the argument. What do you think? Is it right to blame passersby?

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi, I'm Tracy - welcome to my blog! I like to talk about Asian dramas and Korean Pop. Feel free to leave a comment or connect with me via my social media links. Enjoy your stay

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. Hi. I think you're right in blaming the parents for letting her wander around. At the same time, I think it's right to blame passersby too for not doing anything. Ignoring all laws imposed, as a human being, how can you just walk by? Even a dog wouldn't do that(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpYRITtLSg). It is sad when I think about how many others there are in the world (not just China) who would probably just walk by...

    ReplyDelete